Friday, December 22, 2006

"When I'm there I can see, I mean really see. Past men and money and rats that scavenge the red earth. I forget about the bullets and blood. I'm not like most. Most are afraid. They fight to live, so they're buddies can live."

The Sargent put down his pen and raised his eyes at me.
"What do you fight for then."He said in a low voice.

"Nothing, sir." I said with my head between my hands. "I'm not afraid. Not because of bravery, but because I don't think I can die. My head takes over and I'm immortal."

"What about your comrades."

"As bad as the enemy some days"

"What about our country"

"No"

"Humanity"

"I dont feel human"

He whispered "What about that little girl"

My eyes forced opened.
He leaned forward "I saw your face son when you were pulled in out of that place."
He lit his cigar "Your mouth was gaping. Your eyes were wide."

I stood and roared "And what makes humanity any less atrocious than them"

"listen to me. I cant stop them from doing things like that. You can. save the guilty along with the weak and we will deal with them later. If humanity is gone, so are you."

I stood and walked away. "When they are gone, so am I. After this war I plan to leave."

"Fine, thats just fine."

Kae whispered through the com in my ear. "Are you going to leave me to"
I smiled softly "No, we're stuck together."
"forever" she said as she appeared in my hands holo-console.
"Till the universe falls on its ass."

No comments: